I was recently asked why the supplements I recommend ( from Xymogen, MD Prescriptives, Metagenics) are more expensive than those at Walmart, Sam's, and other vitamin places. And the answer is simple-
1. Better ingredients- free of toxins, pesticides, heavy metals, PCB , GMO's, and preservatives. These companies have the GMP seal (Good Manufacturing Practices), which means an FDA third party will regulate their production. Xymogen has gone further into what FDA expectations are and are even found on the IFOS Program. It is always advisable to look for that seal when purchasing OTC supplements. Now, Imagine eating french fries made in 'who knows how old and unclean oil' at a fast food place, vs air-frying your own organic sweet potato chips! What would be more beneficial to your body? Got the picture?
2.. Accurate quantities- Did you know that OTC supplements contain only 35% of what the label reads? This is because their companies do not respond to USP, NSF GMP
Therefore, if you thought you took 1,000 mg of Omega from a generic brand , thing again! You may be taking more contaminants than fish oils.
3. 'Green' packaging that helps the environment and maintains quality of the supplements. No bisphenols .BPA is the most known to many, and it was banned in 2012 from babies' zippy cups. In general, bisphenols are endocrine disruptors, and therefore highly inflammatory.
I respect Dr. S. Pati, M.D. as one of the best Functional Medicine physicians locally and internationally. Listen to what she has to say in this video about supplements in general.
Last but not least, food is our best ally when it comes to supplementing what our bodies need, but make sure when you are choosing a nutraceutical to opt for the ones that have what they claim, and don't have what is toxic! You may end up paying less on the long run.
To your health!
1. Bisphenols: More unnecessary surprises. Kristina A. Thayer, Katie E. Pelch, Linda S. Birnbaum & John R. Bucher https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/23273747.2015.1131032
2. Facts About the Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs)
3. XYMOGEN Responds to New York Times Article on the New York Attorney General Investigation https://www.xymogen.com/about-us/xymogen-news/xymogen-responds-to-new-york-times-article-on-the-new-york-attorney-general-investigation/